Do you think you could recognize 30 of the most iconic photos from history? You may be surprised by just how many of these famous old photos you won’t recognize. From Nazi Christmas dinners to the creation of the Statue of Liberty, every American should see these incredible photos.They all serve a special place in history.
1. Unpacking the Head of the Statue of Liberty delivered June 17, 1885
2. The hippo belonged to a circus and apparently enjoyed pulling the cart as a trick 1924
3. Charlie Chaplin in 1916 at the age of 27
4. Annie Edison Taylor (1838-1921), the first person to survive going over Niagara Falls in a barrel in 1901.
5. Sharing bananas with a goat during the Battle of Saipan, ca. 1944
6. Advertisement for Atabrine, an anti-malaria drug. Papua, New Guinea during WWII
7. Artificial legs, United Kingdom, ca. 1890
9. Bookstore ruined by an air raid, London 1940
10. Testing new bulletproof vests, 1923
11. Suntan vending machine, 1949
12. A space chimp poses for the camera after a successful mission to space in 1961
13. Unknown soldier in Vietnam, 1965
14. Little girl comforting her doll in the ruins of her bomb damaged home, London, 1940
15. Illegal alcohol being poured out during Prohibition, Detroit 1929
16. Austrian boy receives new shoes during WWII
17. Construction of the Berlin wall, 1961
18. Animals being used as a part of medical therapy in 1956
19. Hitler’s officers and cadets celebrating Christmas, 1941
20. Children eating their Christmas dinner during the Great Depression: turnips and cabbage
21. The real Winnie the Pooh and Christopher Robin, ca. 1927
22. Abraham Lincoln’s hearse, 1865
23. A most beautiful suicide – 23 year old Evelyn McHale leapt to her death from an observation deck (83rd floor) of the Empire
24. A mom and her son watch the mushroom cloud after an atomic test 75 miles away, Las Vegas, 1953
25. A penniless mother hides her face in shame after putting her children up for sale, Chicago, 1948
26. Annette Kellerman promoted women’s right to wear a fitted one-piece bathing suit, 1907… She was arrested for indecency.
27. Martin Luther King Jr. with his son by his side removing a burnt cross from his front yard, 1960
28. Walter Yeo, one of the first people to undergo advanced plastic surgery & a skin transplant.
29. Princeton students after a freshman vs. sophomores snowball fight in 1893
30. Melted and damaged mannequins after a fire at Madam Tussaud’s Wax Museum in London, 1930
Your history lesson is now complete. You get an A.
Read more: http://viralnova.com/iconic-photos/
Artist Sara DeRemer previously spooked us all with her eerie photographs of an abandoned mental hospital. Now, she’s back with a much less haunting, yet still very peculiar, project.
Using Photoshop, DeRemer seamlessly blends various fruits and vegetables with animals, creating bizarre combinations with so much clarity that they almost seem real. Her attention to detail makes it impossible to pinpoint where the animal ends and the food begins. It’s pretty freaky, but also really cool.
Vegetarians the world over must be very confused after seeing these. You can check out more of her projects on Imgur or Facebook pages.
Read more: http://viralnova.com/animal-food/
Think vegetables are boring? That they’re always the same? Well you’re wrong and these vegetables are (living) proof. At some point growing up, they had a dream. A dream where they wouldn’t look like just any other radish, potato, or other vegetable. They wanted to be unique (and maybe avoid our dinner tables), and their dreams came true.
1. Looks like you missed a toe there Mr. Potato.
2. Is this radish getting a little too cocky for you?
3. “AHH…He’s got a knife!”
4. This strawberry really wants to be a teddy bear. He told me so.
5. It’s like half carrot, half Stay Puft Marshmallow Man!
6. Whoa Mr. Eggplant… hugs are NOT encouraged.
7. So a radish and a carrot get into a hot tub…
9. The devil is in the… tomato?
10. Looks like he has a bone to pick with that wannabe strawberry bear from earlier.
11. Pinocchio’s got nothing on this eggplant.
12. Yes, this IS a duck gourd. How could you tell?
15. It’s like the healthy version of Peeps.
16. These potatoes HEART you.
18. Nice heimlich maneuver!
19. What’s up with all these touchy feely carrots?
21. I LOVE PENGUINS. I think this potato must have known that.
22. You’ve got to hand it to this carrot.
23. This fleece flower root apparently wants to be a witch doctor.
24. “I’ll get you my pretty… and your little dog too!”
25. This eggplant is entirely too solemn.
26. The sheep goes… BAAAHHH.
27. This tomato is working too hard on his duck face.
(via: distractify) Something tells me that green pepper is going to be hearing from Stallone’s copyright lawyers pretty soon. Don’t you think? 🙂
Read more: http://viralnova.com/vegetable-identities/
Are you addicted to your snooze button? Do you hate mornings? If you’re not a fan of the early hours of the day, it’s probably affecting your job (or at least your attitude). Thankfully, there may be a way to change that.
Well, there is good news on the horizon for all you anti-early-worm sleepy heads. Designer Joshua Renouf has set out to make your mornings a little less annoying with the invention of a bedside coffee maker/alarm clock combination.
Yep, it’s as amazing as it sounds.
You won’t need any annoying sounds to wake you when you get a whiff of the sweet aroma.
No need for a snooze button!
Coffee and sugar, ready to go.
There’s even a little cubby for your cream.
The perfect way to start your day.
Here’s a breakdown of how it works:
Unfortunately, this glorious item isn’t for sale yet, but you can sign up to be informed as soon as it is over on Renouf’s website. Waking up to a fresh pot of coffee, bedside, every morning would be better than room service. This is the kind of motivation I need to get out of bed! (Just imagine if it made bacon, too.)
Share this life changing invention with your friends using the buttons below!
Read more: http://viralnova.com/barisieur/
Before you throw anything away, really think about it. For example, if you’ve finished burning a candle that comes in a big glass jar, don’t waste it. Instead, drain out the leftover wax and use it as storage. This is called “upcycling.” Upcycling is “the process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or for better environmental value.” And it’s not just for people who love arts and crafts. These ideas are worth trying (and will make your home a whole lot cooler).
1.) Using an old ladder as a bookshelf.
If you don’t have a spare ladder handy and would like this piece for yourself, visit the Naturally Cre8tive store on Etsy.
2.) Convert folding chairs into a shelf and closet.
3.) Turning an old 2 liter bottle into a broom.
4.) Using old bottles as shades for pendant lamps.
5.) Make a lamp with hot glue and disposable spoons.
6.) Using old skateboard decks to make a child’s picnic table.
7.) Turning a glove into an adorable chipmunk.
8.) Making shelves out of old books.
9.) Turn old bottle caps into cool tea lights.
10.) Convert a discarded piano into a very cool shelf.
11.) Transforming wrenches into wall hooks.
12.) Organizing your cords with used toilet paper tubes.
13.) This sink you can make out of a bicycle.
14.) A portable bagel holder made out of CD/DVD tower case.
15.) Make your wooden fence a little more private with glass marbles.
16.) Put your old computer towers to good use as a mailbox.
17.) Buy packs of cheap hangers to create a room divider.
18.) Create guitar pics out of credit cards (or anything else).
19.) Found another old piano? Turn it into a planter/outdoor fountain.
20.) Convert used light bulbs into oil lamps.
21.) Create a clock out of a bike wheel.
22.) Transform that old drum set into a chandelier.
23.) Use your favorite, old cassette tape as a coin purse.
24.) Cut a bath tub in half to make one of the coolest couches ever.
25.) Use that old, vintage suitcase for a cool chair.
26.) Recycle used wine bottles as a classy chandelier.
27.) If that old TV doesn’t work, transform it into an aquarium.
28.) Make a purse (and many, many other things) out of woven pop tabs.
29.) If you don’t like wearing hats, make them into lamps.
30.) Transform classic tennis rackets into mirrors.
Now, I don’t feel so silly for refusing to throw away every wine bottle I’ve ever purchased. If I had any talent or time, I could be making chandeliers out of them. Upcycling is good for the environment and good for design. If you’re not very handy yourself, visit stores on Etsy like Naturally Cre8tive. They have hand-crafted upcycled products that you can buy for your very own. Source: Bored Panda If you love these trendy ideas, share them by clicking the button below.
Read more: http://viralnova.com/upcycled-products/
I bet you’ve never looked twice at your empty toilet paper rolls. You just crumple them up and throw them away, right? Well, not French artist Junior Fritz Jacquet. Since he was a little boy, Jacquet has been interested in paper, and fascinated by what can be made from it.
So it’s no wonder then that he works primarily with paper. His latest series, entitled Masks, is made up of 40 crushed and painted toilet paper rolls that have been shaped into expressive faces. Who the heck would have ever thought you could make such amazing art just from old toilet paper rolls?!
Jacquet at one of his art shows.
Those are amazing. Just think of the art you could have been throwing away without realizing it! Here are a few other Jacquet pieces, all still working with just paper and paper products.
(Via: Twisted Sifter)
Now that’s a really innovative way to recycle. Don’t forget to share this post on Facebook by clicking below.
Read more: http://viralnova.com/toilet-paper-art/
Etsy user Hoang Tran makes uses crayons to create some truly spectacular art. However instead of drawing with them, Tran creates intricate carvings from them. He then sells them online.
A lot of Tran’s work is inspired by pop culture (movies and TV), but he also does custom requests. Just wait until you see the detail on these carvings. I’m still picking my jaw up off the ground.
1.) The characters from Adventure Time.
2.) Chewbacca from Star Wars.
3.) A Dalek from Dr. Who.
4.) Boba Fett from Star Wars.
8.) R2-D2 from Star Wars.
10.) Darth Vadar from Star Wars.
11.) Walter from The Big Lebowski.
13.) Stormtrooper from Star Wars.
15.) House Sigils from Game Of Thrones.
17.) Bender from Futurama.
19.) Yoda from Star Wars.
(Via: This Is Marvelous)
See more of Tran’s work on their Etsy page. Before you do that though, make sure to share these amazing crayon sculptures on Facebook by clicking below.
Read more: http://viralnova.com/crayon-art/
When you go on vacation, you usually stay in a hotel. Unless you have friends in the area, you’re destined to sleep in a cardboard bed with bad sheets. However… if you do some research, you might be able to avoid that awfulness in the future.
Each of these locations boast a unique theme, feature or amenity. Anyone would be lucky to stay here (instead of bunking with a friend who doesn’t want you around).
1.) Capsule Hotel – The Netherlands
2.) Propeller Island – Berlin
3.) The Gamirasu Cave Hotel – Turkey
4.) Jumbo Hostel – Switzerland
5.) Dog Bark Park Inn – Idaho
6.) The Canyon Caverns Suite – Arizona
7.) Das Park Hotel – Austria
8.) Giraffe Manor – Kenya
9.) Sala Silvermine Underground Suite -Sweden
11.) Madonna Inn – California
12.) La Villa Hamster – France
13.) Kumbuk River Resort – Sri Lanka
14.) The Bubble Tree – France
15.) The Capsule Inn – Japan
Come to think of it, if the hotel is the most exciting part of my vacation? That automatically makes the trip a success.
Read more: http://viralnova.com/crazy-hotels/
Kids today with their iPads and Androids and such… they have no idea how thrilling it was to win a hand of solitaire on the Windows 98 system. They will never know the joy of seeing those jubilant fireworks and bouncing cards after placing the final king on its stack.
For the rest of us who killed time playing the game at work or while waiting on our family’s AOL 4.0 to finish making screeching sounds and finally boot up, the nostalgia is being relived with the help of artist Evan Roth.
His newest work combines real life playing cards with its pixelated counterpart, complete with iconic beach scenery.
Unfortunately, Roth completed only 500 of these decks as a commission for The Cooper Hewitt museum and the limited stock has already sold out. But hey, there’s always hope for a “Spider Solitaire” sequel!
Share the old-school fun with your friends using the buttons below!
Read more: http://viralnova.com/solitaire-card-deck/
When you’re bored in class, at work or in life, doodling can be a fun and creative way to occupy your time. Peruse any of my old notebooks and you’d see a multitude of doodles and marginalia throughout. No matter how detailed, they wouldn’t hold a candle to what this kid can do.
An 11-year-old named Dušan Krtolica has created doodles that will drop your jaw. They’re not even doodles so much as they’re artistic sketches.
I’ve tried to draw dinosaurs before, but never anything this awesome (and biologically accurate.)
A sketch of a flurry of ornithological activity by the ocean-side.
A jungle scene full of fine detail. The fun of some of these sketches is seeing what you can find when you really look.
He shows the amount of activity above and below the surface of the ocean in this sketch using a cross-section.
I could stare at this one for hours.
The amount of detail put into this creepy-crawly sketch is incredible.
Ocean Life: See if you can count how many different sea creatures are in this one sketch.
Here, he creates an interesting sketch by playing with perspective.
Here’s a picture of Dušan Krtolica in the midst of composing a sketch. So that’s how he gets all those little details in there!
Dušan with another one of his completed and amazing sketches.
This kid inspires me to make my doodles better than I ever imagined.
Read more: http://viralnova.com/amazing-artist-wunderkind/